Kue bolu keju (Cheese cake)
This is a classic Indonesian cake. Light sponge cake spread with butter cream and grated cheddar cheese, a combination of sweet and salty which is not commonly found in western cakes. This is a cake that I like to bake and eat too. The recipe was adapted from a recipe given by my good friend from uni. We baked this cake together once at her place many many years ago.
7 egg yolks
2 egg whites
1 tsp TBM (emulsifier) – optional
120 gr granulated sugar
120 gr cake flour, sifted
120 gr butter
100 gr Cheddar cheese
1. Heat oven 180 c.
2. Grease a 20 cm x 20 cm x 6 cm pan, and cover with a baking paper.
3. In a medium bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer until soft and pale approximately 7 minutes. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, beat egg yolks and whites, sugar and TBM until thick, pale and voluminous approximately 10 minutes with a hand mixer.
5. Fold cake flour into the batter with a spatula, and then fold creamed butter.
6. Transfer the batter into the pan.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
8. Once baked, remove from the pan, place on a wiring rack, and peel off the baking paper. Let it cool completely.
9. Place the cake on a chopping board, cut it into two equal pieces.
10. Spread buttercream on top of one of the pieces, and then grate cheddar cheese over it.
11. Place the second piece of cake on top of the one with cheddar cheese, and then spread buttercream on top of the cake. Grate cheddar cheese over the cake again.